Study Abroad Students
UTSA offers a wide variety of Study Abroad destinations to students of all majors and areas of interest.
Students that are interested in the Study Abroad program should first meet with the Education Abroad Services.
After visiting with the Education Abroad department, students may find it beneficial to explore their financial aid options. Students who are interested in studying abroad should be financially prepared to travel oversees.
Applying for Aid
Federal aid, such as Direct loans and the Pell grant, are often used to help fund study abroad programs. Scholarships, grants, and alternative loans may also be used to pay for study abroad programs and expenses.
All students are encouraged to apply for financial aid. To apply, you will need to submit your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to UTSA. Once you have submitted your FAFSA, you will need to submit the Study Abroad Financial Aid Request Form to the One Stop Enrollment Center. Note: the request form should be submitted at least four weeks before your departure date.
During processing, your budget will be adjusted to meet study abroad program costs. An adjustment made to your financial aid budget does not mean you will be offered additional financial aid. It is each student’s responsibility to pursue outside resources if your offer is not enough to cover program costs. We encourage you to review other options available (note: work study should not be considered).
You must complete the following in order to receive financial aid:
- Apply and submit your FAFSA to UTSA
- Be accepted to the study abroad program by the UTSA Education Abroad department
- Commit to the program on the Terra Dotta student portal
- Be enrolled in at least half time or more
- Register for degree applicable courses
- Understand that Financial aid funds cannot be released until 10 days before the start of your program
- Acknowledge that failure to complete the study abroad program, or withdrawal, can result in paying back part or all of your financial aid
For further questions concerning UTSA Financial Aid to study abroad, please feel free to contact the UTSA One Stop Enrollment Center at 210-458-8000.