Graduation & Financial Aid

Congratulations on your achievement! Here is important information to help prepare you for your next steps.

Federal aid impacts of graduation

Per federal regulations, once students earn a degree, they are no longer entitled to receive aid (grants, loans, work-study) unless they are enrolled as a degree-seeking student. Once our office is notified that you have applied for graduation, we will place a hold that will prevent aid in future semesters.

All graduating students are required to complete the Direct Loan Exit Counseling and Perkins Loan Exit Counseling if they borrowed Direct Loans or Perkins Loans at any time during their undergraduate career. The exit counseling should become available about 30 days before your commencement.

Seeking second bachelor’s degree

If your degree is awarded and you plan to become a second bachelor’s degree-seeking student, we cannot remove your graduation hold or offer you future aid until we can see that a new major has been declared. Once this is done, you need to submit an Enrollment Change Form to be offered your Direct loans up to your undergraduate loan limits. You will not be eligible for grants if seeking a second Bachelor’s degree.

Becoming a graduate student

If you plan on becoming a graduate student in the next semester, you will need to submit an Enrollment Change Form letting us know. In addition, we are unable to pay out financial aid at the graduate level until your undergraduate degree is conferred. Typically this happens 30 to 45 days after the end of the term in which you graduated.

Applied for graduation, but will not graduate

If you have submitted your graduation application but will not graduate, you must withdraw your application and be registered for the following semester in order to be offered financial aid. Students do not need to submit any forms or notify our office. Financial aid offerings for subsequent semesters will occur once the current semester ends. Please note that federal regulations state that students who are eligible to graduate with a bachelor’s degree and choose to extend their enrollment without graduating cannot continue to receive the Pell grant.

Graduating in the fall semester

Students who plan on graduating at the end of the fall term will be placed in a fall-only budget. In accordance with federal guidelines, undergraduate students will have their Direct Loans prorated to match their exact enrollment. This means the student cannot have their entire loan amount disbursed in the fall term if they plan on graduating in the fall. The same is true for grants. Students attending ¾ time will receive 75% of their fall portion of their grant and those attending ½ time will receive 50% of their fall portion.


Call & Chat

Call Us

(210) 458-8000

Monday - Friday 8:30am-4:30pm
Call volumes may be higher during peak times, but we do have a call back feature!


Click on the chat icon on the bottom right corner of this website.

Email & Docs

Email US


Email turnaround is approx. 3-5 business days.

Upload A Document

Document Uploader

Upload completed PDF forms (or scan them into a PDF) through our Document Uploader tool.



Monday- Friday 8:30am- 4:00pm (Main and Downtown Campus)

Main Campus

JPL 110
One UTSA Circle
San Antonio, TX 78249

Downtown Campus

FS 2.400
501 W. Cesar Chavez Blvd.
San Antonio, TX 78207


What is one Stop?

The One Stop Enrollment Center assists with all questions related to financial aid, admissions and registration. Need help submitting paperwork, want to request a transcript, or verification of enrollment? Our office is here to help!