Text messaging is an additional method of communication that The University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA) may utilize to reach out to its constituents. For the purposes of this document, mass text messages are defined as texts sent to a predetermined group of persons with whom the sender is not in direct, personal contact on a regular basis. Text messaging may also be utilized for a targeted message to an individual student or prospect that is time-sensitive and relevant in nature.
- Preserve texting as an additional channel for important student-related communications as outlined in the Categories of Messages section. UTSA will keep texts to a minimum to ensure that students remain in the texting program and do not opt-out because of overuse. Message frequency may vary.
- Except for emergencies, all outgoing text messages will be initiated between 8 am through 9 pm CST.
All non-emergency mass text messages originating from any UTSA office, or from any authorized UTSA employee acting in his/her professional capacity, are included in this procedure.
Categories of Messages
Texting is reserved for information that is considered educational and/or time-sensitive. The following are the categories of mass text messages permitted under this policy:
- Provide information on upcoming educational or university-related events and announcements
- Notifications of important deadlines or dates
- Relevant activities or news as it relates to the safety, recruitment, enrollment, and retention of students
Message frequency may vary.
Texts that are sent from the Rowdy Bot can be temporarily opted out by using the #PAUSE command and let Rowdy Bot know how long you want to be unsubscribed for.
If you want to fully opt-out, you can use the command #STOP and you will no longer receive texts from Rowdy Bot. If you ever want to start up again, you will have to type in #START to (210) 908-5245 to re-engage with the Rowdy Bot.
Texts that are coming from other applications outside of an individual person should also allow a STOP campaign to opt-out.
For additional assistance, please email email@example.com or call 1-800-669-0919.
All costs associated with receiving a text message are the responsibility of the individual receiving the text message. Message and data rates may apply from the wireless carrier. Supported carriers include but are not limited to: AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile*, Verizon Wireless, Cricket, and Metro PCS.
UTSA is not liable for delayed or undelivered messages. Delivery of information and content to a mobile device may fail due to a variety of circumstances or conditions. You understand and acknowledge that network services, including but not limited to mobile network services, are outside of UTSA’s control, and UTSA is not responsible or liable for issues arising from them.
* T-Mobile is not liable for delayed or undelivered messages
How to Update my Cell Phone Number at UTSA
- Log into ASAP
- Click on the “Personal Information” tab on the far left
- From the menu, select “View/Update Cell Phone“
You can find additional information on how to update your cell phone on our Updating Personal Information page.